skip navigation

This page is designed for modern browsers. You will have a better experience with a better browser.

WELCOME TO VVC's Online Help System


What classes do I need to take for a degree in Physical Therapy?

Physical Therapy at a community college doesn't have a specific major. Students must receive a Bachelor's and a Master's for Physical Therapy. Most students major in Pre-Physical Therapy, Kinesiology, Athletic Training, Biology, etc. More details are below along with a list of classes I recommend that you are able to take at VVC to prepare you for the Physical Therapy degree. Please see information below.

Physical Therapy is a highly competitive program. All accredited entry level physical therapy programs are at the master’s level (MS or MPT) or doctorate level (DPT). Most universities offer the Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree. Most programs require a student to have at least a 3.0 cumulative and prerequisite GPA, although the average GPA for accepted students may be higher. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Biology, Kinesiology, and Athletic Training is strongly recommended. In addition, sufficiently high scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), strong letters of recommendation, and paid or volunteer experience in a physical therapy setting are important in the selection process.


Common lower division course requirements for most Physical Therapy programs (the classes below can be taken at VVC):

BIOL 201, 202, 211, 231; CHEM 201, 202; ENGL 101, 102; MATH 120 or 104 or 226 (Most require Math 120 - Statistics); PHYS 221, 222; PSYC 101, 110;

Highly recommended course: CHEM 281

The following California colleges offer DPT programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE):


-California State University


                San Francisco:

-Azusa Pacific University


-Chapman University


-Loma Linda University


-Mount St. Mary’s College


-University of California, San Francisco


-University of the Pacific


-University of Southern California (USC)


-Western Univ. of Health Sciences



The following California college offer M.S./MPT programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE):

-California State University

                Long Beach:


Categories: Counseling
Was this helpful?